Monday, 27 February 2012

Every dress has a story...

Some time ago, I stumbled at the railway station bookshop over this:


The cover made me smile, though it is so girlish. But I thought it might be the right kind of story for a six-hour trip to the North.
The book is written by Erin McKean who has her own blog "dress a day" and the story is easily told: 
A girl has to take over the vintage shop of her sick grandmother and discovers that every dress in the shop comes together with a story. 

I had a similar experience with my friend Mario this weekend, on our tour through Helsinki's vintage shops. My personal favourite was "Penny Lane". It feels like diving into another world when you enter the building from the 1920s which its mirror ceiling.

picture by Penny Lane
Owner of the shop is lovely Ritva W├Ąchter, former air hostess and Miss Finland 1961, whose collection is based on clothes and costumes people bring to her or which she has collected on her journeys. Her passion are vintage shops all over the world and the 50s and 60s as she told us.

My passion at the moment are vintage sewing patterns and I will start my project pin-up dress very soon, so stay tuned!



No comments: