Wednesday, 4 April 2012

Cry Baby

For our latest movie night I stumbled across John Waters' movie "Cry Baby", I have seen this movie before at the age of 10 or 11 and believe me I didn't find it too funny. 22 years later, we had a good time watching the parody of 50s movies by Elvis and musical classics like grease.
John Waters has proven himself as America's avatar of bad taste and all things tacky, but he brought it to perfection in this movie, which shows also his passion for his beloved Baltimore of the late 1950's.
The cast is incredible, Johnny Depp, Iggy Pop, Traci Lords, Ricky Lake... (and no, I didn't know who Traci Lords is when I was 10!)
Johnny Depp stars as "Cry-Baby" Walker, a juvenile delinquent from the wrong side of the tracks who spends his time hanging around with his gang and singing evil rock n' roll music, a kind of life style feared by the other citizens. 




But oh so naturally, one of the good girls falls for him and the trouble begins. I won't tell you the whole story, you have to watch it yourself, but the movie is a homage to the 'white-trash culture' and a loving tribute to the great juvenile delinquent movies of the 50's and 60's.




I have posted a link to the trailer before, but if you like 50s pin-up style, have a look at the movie, you will love the outfits!




Besides, Johnny Depp as "Cry Baby" made it last year on the front of Dolce & Gabbana shirts!

No comments: