Perfect for a lovely autumn day, I have two nice and simple dishes from Alsace for you!
COQ AU RIESLING & SPÄTZLE
one chicken cut in pieces
(you can also just take pieces of it according to your liking, but keep in mind the meat with bones gives better taste)
30 cl Riesling
1 bouquet garni
500 ml water
salt & pepper
crème fraiche (optional)
1. fry the chicken pieces in 100g of the butter until they get slightly colored from all sides.
2. add the sliced onions, carrots and champignons and fry together for a while then add the wine.
3. add the bouquet garni and the water, season with salt and pepper and let it simmer on average heat for 1 1/2 hours.
|Coq au Riesling - under construction|
meanwhile prepare the dough for the Spätzle
325 g flour
salt, pepper & nutmeg
4. mix all ingredients together until you have an even smooth dough
5. take a big kettle and bring water to boil
6. take a wooden kitchen board, flour the surface and add a one cm layer of dough
7. divide small pieces of dough with a spatula and let them slide into the boiling water
8. let them boil for five minutes, then take them out and fry them in the remaining butter
9. back to the Coq au Riesling, after the 1 1/2 hours have passed take out the meat and the vegetables and arrange it on plates. Reduce the sauce, if needed and add some crème fraiche, if you like. Serve with sauce and decorate with some leaves of fresh parsley.
|Baeckeoffe - ready to eat|
400g meat ( beef, lamb and pork)
2 gloves of garlic
2 bay leaves
30cl Riesling or Muscadet
50 g beacon
1/4 celery root
salt & pepper
1. cut the meat in 2 cm big pieces and mix with wine, garlic and bay leaves and let it marinate over night.
2. on the following day, save the liquid into a different bowl. Take four small oven dishes and grease them with the beacon.
3. cut the beacon into small cubes and the vegetables into thin slices and preheat the oven to 180°C
4. take half of the potatoes and fill the forms with it. The next layer will be the meat, then comes a layer with all other vegetables. Season every layer with salt and pepper and thyme. Finish with a layer of potatoes.
5. add the wine marinade and close the forms with aluminum foil. Let it bake in the oven for 1 hour and 45 minutes. Then remove the cover and bake another 15 minutes.