And that's what you need:
1/2 a cup of lentils
1 cup of rice
salt & pepper
2 tbsp Indian spice mix for lentils
for the salad:
2 tbsp olive oil
juice of 1/2 a lemon
yogurt (to get the different tastes balanced, I use Turkish yogurt which is quite acidic)
1. Put the lentils in a pot and cover them with water. Let them boil on low heat for 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile prepare the salad: cut the cucumber and tomatoes in small pieces, add the other ingredients and season with salt and pepper.
3. After 20 minutes add the rice to the lentils, season with the spice mix and salt. If necessary add more water. There should be approximately a thumb width of water over the lentil and rice mix. Bring the water to boil and then leave it on low heat for another 25 minutes.
5. After 20 minutes cut the onions into rings and fry them in a little bit of olive oil until they take color, season them with pepper.
6. Serve the lentils with the onions, yogurt and salad.